network libdvdcss

Miguel Freitas miguel at cetuc.puc-rio.br
Thu Mar 20 04:57:35 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm a xine developer and i'm currently working on an independent project
that requires playing dvds from a server dvdrom. After evaluating
network block devices (nbd and enbd) we decided for a completely user
space solution.

I wrote a small patch for libdvdcss 1.2.6 that makes possible to pipe
the api commands through a tcp socket to the server. Everything is
completely transparent to the player application, it just need to pass a
"address:port" as the device name and it takes care of the rest.

Inside the test directory i added dvdcss_server.c.
Usage is quite easy:

./dvdcss_server <dvd_device> <port_number>

xine dvd:/server_address:3000/

(note that current xine/libdvdread still needs an one line fix to avoid
an error opening the file "/server_address:3000")

The libdvdcss patch is attached. I don't know if you will want to add it
to the project, but still seems a quite cool feature! ;)

regards,

Miguel