[libdvdcss-devel] Fwd: [VLC] #4289: Make libdvdcss follow XDG on UNIX systems for folder path

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Nov 3 19:37:23 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 07:55:38PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Forwarding bug report for your information.
>
> The reporter-provided patch is:
> http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/attachment/ticket/4289/libdvdcss_xdg.patch
>
> #4289: Make libdvdcss follow XDG on UNIX systems for folder path
> -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  Ángel        |        Owner:  courmisch
>      Type:  patch        |       Status:  new
> Component:  Access       |      Version:  master
>  Severity:  normal       |     Keywords:
>  Platform:  all          |   Difficulty:  unknown
>       Wip:  Not started  |
> -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
>  Currently libdvdcss uses $HOME/.dvdcss as cache folder or $DVDCSS_CACHE.
>
>  Please make it follow the XDG Base Directory Specification [1].

I still have a personal dislike against a spec that lacks a "scope" or
any other useful introduction part.

>  This means placing dvdcss cache inside $XDG_CACHE_HOME folder with
>  $XDG_CACHE_HOME as $HOME/.cache if unset.

XDG_CACHE_HOME is for "non-essential data". I have some doubts that
the DVDCSS cache belongs there.
Since the keys for some very short/simple (never investigated it, but some
titles from the Australian "Spaceballs" edition show this effect) titles
cannot be cracked, deleting might mean some DVDs will no longer be playable
if the drive region code was changed at some point.