[streaming] Problem with streaming a DVD

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Thu Jul 24 17:11:01 CEST 2003

Hello,

I just started using vlc yesterday and am very happy the results
of the tests I have done so far. I was able to stream a .vob file
from disk but can't stream a DVD directly from the DVD drive.

I have 2 Win2K machines with 100 Mbps NICs connected directly
i.e. no hub or switch between them.

I can view the movie locally (via vlc) but when I try to stream it,
playback on the remote PC stops after displaying the FBI warning.
The message window on the 'server' PC when the playback stops says :

main debug: playing at normal rate
main debug: unselecting ES 0xe0
access_output_udp warning: resetting clock
access_output_udp warning: resetting clock
main debug: removing an input
mux_ts_dvbpsi debug: removing input
main warning: no more input stream for this mux
main debug: thread 2324 joined (src/input/input_dec.c:152)
main debug: killing decoder for 0xe0, fourcc `mpgv', 9 PES in FIFO
main debug: unlocking module "packetizer_mpegvideo"
main debug: unselecting ES 0x20bd
main debug: thread 2332 joined (src/input/input_dec.c:152)
main debug: killing decoder for 0x20bd, fourcc `spub', 9 PES in FIFO
main debug: unlocking module "packetizer_copy"
dvdplay debug: new es 0xe0
dvdplay debug: new es 0x20bd
main debug: selecting ES 0xe0
main debug: looking for packetizer module
main debug: probing 6 candidates
main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo"
main debug: thread 2136 (decoder) created at priority 0
(src/input/input_dec.c:113)
main debug: selecting ES 0x20bd
main debug: looking for packetizer module
main debug: probing 6 candidates
main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_copy"
main debug: thread 2340 (decoder) created at priority 0
(src/input/input_dec.c:113)
packetizer_mpegvideo: Running mpegvideo packetizer
packetizer_copy: Running copy packetizer
packetizer_copy error: unknown es type !!
packetizer_mpegvideo warning: sequence_header_code found (0 skipped)
packetizer_mpegvideo debug: ARRGG no extension_start_code
packetizer_mpegvideo warning: creating input (image size 720x480, frame rate
29.97)
main debug: adding a new input
main debug: adding a new input
mux_ts_dvbpsi debug: adding input
dvdplay debug: still time 255
main debug: toggling pause

Also, I tried to copy the VOB files from the DVD to my disk but was
unable to do so. Do I need a special application to copy the VOB files?

Thanks for your help,
Harshal