[streaming] Re: DivX Streaming

Damien LUCAS damien.lucas at videolan.org
Thu Jun 26 10:55:16 CEST 2003

satish hipparagi wrote:
> Hi nitrox,
> Thanks a lot for replying.
> We won't be able to stream DivX files using VLS, true.
> But what can be done is, demultiplex DivX( separate
> audio and video) , convert them  in to MPEG2 TS format
> and sent to VLC. Can it be done like this?

Exact, you can do it using the stream output of VLC.

> If this is the case, then how the sync can be taken
> care.

The synchro problem is the same with the DivX file and a MPEG2-TS
stream. Both video and audio have timestamps in order to know when to
give the frames to the outputs. So when you convert your file to
MPEG2-TS, timestamp are added to each of the elementary streams.

The two differences when you stream are:
1. you may not have the beginning reference, but as timestamp are
    repeted in each frame, it is not a problem.
2. you don't control the reading speed, so if you have to adjust your
    synchro, you will need to add a buffer somewhere in the decoding
    process.

Does that answer your question ?

Regards,

--