[streaming] Re: Spam: streaming to a nokia phone

Torben Knerr ukio at gmx.de
Fri Apr 29 09:57:29 CEST 2005

Cavalera Claudio wrote:

> [...]
Dear Claudio,

>I think in advanced network settings of realplayer on Nokia 6630 you can
>adjust bandwidths for GPRS/EGPRS/UMTS, therefore changing the SDP should
>be unnecessary.

thanks for pointing me to those settings, they are pretty hidden in the
menu.

>I would try with less fps, around 7 or so.
>Are you able to play that stream with realone player or VLC on a PC?

on PC it plays like a charm with almost all players capable of
mp4-rtsp-streaming (e.g. real, quicktime,
windows media player (with MPEG4 DS Filters), Mpegable MP4 Player, IBM's
MP4 Toolkit player,
VLC, and so on...)

>Also ethereal could help debug the rtp stream.

I already did, and I believe a major problem is the lack of RTCP support
of vlc (when acting as a server).
I know of other 3gp players, such as Philips Platform4 Player for
PocketPC, who start playing only after
having received a RTCP Sender Report from the server.
With the Nokia's Realplayer, it doesn't begin to play the stream also,
and continuosly sends UDP packets
to the server (which I believe are RTCP Receiver Reports) who in turn
does not _not_ respond with a Sender Report.

Another big problem is that i'm not able to encode a mp4 file with vlc
which will play on Nokias realplayer.
They (Nokia) state that they support only 3gp compliant mp4 files, so I
think vlc is not really 3gp compliant,
which makes me doubt even more that the streaming thing is possible..

>Which is your source?

Source should not be the problem, since i'm doing live transcoding.

>Please let me know if you succeed! :-)

If this will ever happen I will :)

>Best Regards,
>Claudio