[streaming] Re: Multicast streaming over VPN

Martin Forget mforget at mtotelecom.com
Mon Dec 4 16:39:35 CET 2006

a linksys is not a switch, so it doesn't forward or snoop igmp
messages by defautl...

the best way to troubleshoot is using a tcpdump next to your
multicast router.
debug ip igmp on cisco..
if you don't have a multicast router, debug igmp snooping on your
layer-2 switch.

the igmpproxy software that i crossed-compiled is http://
sourceforge.net/projects/igmpproxy

an other way is to setup a PIM (i suggest sparse-dense) router on the
client side of the gre tunnel
(if you have a cisco l3 device, this is probably better than
igmpproxying)

of if you have a full power linux box, you can use pimd which is part
of iproute2 on linux

if you need documentation on igmpproxying / pim multicast routing,
check the cisco website
this is a networking issue... cisco has the most doc.

-martin