[streaming] Re: how RTP works

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 13:32:38 CEST 2007

Overhead and latency.

If you have a television broadcast, a generic multicast, don't care too much
about either latency or overhead, fine (the "minimal" overhead is still a
real amount, nature of the beast with FEC).  Likewise, if you don't mind
having an additional FEC cache on each end, no problem.

As a selectable filter, cool, just remember that there's no free lunch.

At a practical level, if you have a pretty clean WAN your frame drops should
be quite infrequent, operationally not an issue, so you are just taking on
overhead and latency to recover a really low-rate occasional drop.  On the
other end, to handle good sized bursts, you end up having to implement the
larger 2D correction matrices, which add some significant overhead and
latency.

It looks like fun stuff.  Not a silver bullet, but the more filters
available the merrier :)