[streaming] Multicast errors: discontinuity at reception

Javier Gálvez Guerrero dulceangustia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 21:43:20 CET 2008

Hi,

2008/3/8, Marshall Eubanks <tme at multicasttech.com>:

> The first question I ask in any 802.11 multicast debugging is :
>
> Are you sure that none of your Access points have multicast rate
> limits set ?
>
> (These are in my experience pretty common and generally turned on by
> default.)

I have checked my problem with 4 different devices: an AP Cisco Aironet
1200, a wifi router Zyxel Prestige 600, a Conceptronic wifi router and an AP
Linksys DWL700, having in these similar loss rates. I have searched for
multicast parameters (multicast packets per second rate limit included) to
change but I have found nothing. Should this parameter be available? It
seems strange to me that the Cisco one has only a multicast parameter but
regarded only to bridges (anyway, it was changed just to see if it took any
effect, but it didn't).

The second is a two part question :

> Are you aware that all multicasts on your wired LAN will be flooded
> to your wireless LAN, even if there are no recipients for them
> there ? Are
> you sure that there are no high bandwidth multicasts on your wired
> LAN ? (This, AFAICT, is the reason for the multicast rate limit
> defaults.)

I have monitored the radio channel of the APs and the routers to see how
loaded it was with and without the multicast service and they were less than
1 Mbps.

I have gotten decent multicast throughput at 1 Mbps even for 802.11b,
> so it sounds like you have a problem here.
>

> On Mar 8, 2008, at 5:01 AM, Javier Gálvez Guerrero wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think I understood the difference between upstream and
> > downstream. What I wanted to point out is that, although the
> > maximum numerical available bandwidth of 802.11g is 54 Mbps, due to
> > issues like listening the channel, overhead data and dividing the
> > channel in downstream and upstream (the AP is receiving for a while
> > and transmitting for another while, isnt'it? Please, let me know if
> > I am confused in this point.), the real data rate that clients can
> > receive is not 54 Mbps, so it is quite lower. But anyway, what I
> > wondered is why should appear such an amount of packet losses if
> > the available bandwidth was high enough to support the stream.
> >

> There shouldn't be.
>

> > It's true that wireless links are much less reliable than wired
> > ones, but I thought that this loss rate being quite near the AP was
> > quite high.
>

> If the loss rate is high even when you are near the AP, you may have
> RFI issues (i.e., other WLANs, computer to computer networks, etc.).
> These of course would be more or less the same for unicast and
> multicast.

I have checked in three different environments and with different WiFi
channels and always the same results: unicast working pretty well but
multicast (the same video tested in unicast) losing many packets.

> The other thing that seemed strange to me was why MPEG-4
> > transcoding but even increasing the needed multicast streaming
> > bitrate had less error rate.
>

> I don't understand this sentence. Please provide some more detail here.

Sorry, I got confused and this had no sense. If I transcode the streamed
file to lower video and audio bitrates the loss rate is decreased as well
(obviously).

Regards

> Marshall

Please, let me  know if exists any tool that can configure any wifi
multicast performance parameter.

Thank you,
Javi