[streaming] Saving Video file with VLC

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 9 22:43:15 CET 2011

On 9 March 2011 10:24, Ankit Kapoor <ankit.11nov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
> Can you help me with the command for vlc for saving the streamed data as I
> have never used it.

You will need something like
cvlc -vv some_url "#std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=thefilenename.mp4}"

cvlc is the command line version of vlc, which should have been
installed with vlc.  If it is not then just use vlc instead.  -vv
tells it to show additional diagnostics which can be useful.  some_url
is your source url and thefilename.mp4 is the file to write to.  I
don't know exactly how to escape the filename if you need backslashes
(hopefully you are not on windows so that is not a problem) or spaces
in the filename.  To get it working just put a simple filename and it
should appear in the current directory.  I don't know whether mux=ts
is right for mp4, you might have to research that.

Colin