problems compiling 0.2.73 on MOSX

Eric Carlson carl0240 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Apr 29 09:50:05 CEST 2001

0.2.73 compiles fine here on a Dual G4/500 with OS X 10.0.1. I did
configure --disable-x11 --disable-xvideo and it worked.

I tried running configure with no options but make failed on some of the
xvideo stuff (which I don't need anyway) so that's why that's disabled.
I never saw any of the errors Nik reported with either configure method.
I do, however, have libsdl and libdl installed. I've found I get weird
errors if I don't have them installed, despite the fact that they're no
longer supposed to be needed so that might be why.

Despite the fact that it builds, vlc.app is very unstable and
unpredicatable. The command line binary works better, but gets random
malloc errors while playing the vob file I have that used to work fine
back in 0.2.70. The current command line binary plays MPEG1 files,
however, perfectly with no malloc errors. I can give more information on
the errors if anyone is interested in tracking this one down (I wish I
could, but I don't have the programming knowledge necessary).

Eric