iPAQ port

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Oct 17 23:58:17 CEST 2001

À (At) 11:08 +0200 17/10/01, Jean-Paul Saman écrivait (wrote) :

>Other things that are needed are:
>- The default screen size should match the iPaq LCD screen

In the latest cvs the default screen size is the video size, so you
don't need scaling.

>- A landscape mode for vlc would be nice

X configuration is your friend :-).

>- The default userinterface gtk should be sized with in the LCD screen
>size. For easier access to the controls and dialogs.

Yep.

>- No floating point arithmic, because the strongArm does not support
>hardware floating points calculations.

Yep.

>A little history of what I'm doing now.
>For my employer I am creating a demonstration for a wireless streaming
>video solution.

Welcome to the club :-))).

>I use an iPaq, WLAN card (3COM AirConnect), WLAN AP also
>3Com. The software I'am using for streaming video is from VideoLan (the
>vlms and vlc).
>The Wireless LAN can cope with a throughput of about 4 MB/s, so I had to
>scale down some DVD to less then that. The overall image quality is
>acceptable for such a small screen.

Well personnally I use MPEG-1, you do not need the DVD resolution.

>The demo works now, but is not stable enough and lacks audio. Currently
>I'm trying to get the WLAN drivers working better and after that I'll
>have some time on my hand to help out for vlc.
>
>The time I got allocated to work on this (pet) project is limited to one
>day a week. If I do not have other assignments, then I can spare more
>time to help out.
>
>Where can I help?

As I said there are several items to do. I know why audio isn't
working, the current audio decoder is FPU-based and is waaaay too
slow on iPAQ. The solution I see is to use Henri's new plug-in
architecture to create a new audio decoder based on libmad.

As for the optimizations, the YUV can be easily optimized (the code
has already been written for BBPlay, but lacks scaling). IDCT could
be too, but we have to write it from scratch.

Finally, we need a new interface.

What do you want to do ?

--
Christophe Massiot.