[vlc-devel] Re: Which platform?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Dec 15 23:13:52 CET 2002

On Sunday 15 December 2002 22:34, Larry Applegate wrote:

> We will need an integrated player in both environments, and would like to
> use the VideoLAN Client. From reading your documentation, it would seem
> best to install Linux on at least one of my machines.

Well, it's not really necessary. VLC can be compiled natively on both MacOSX
and Windows. Well the build system of the development version of vlc is
having some problems right now under windows (more specifically under
MSYS+Mingw) but this will hopefully be solved very soon.

The developpers here usually cross-compile the win32 version of vlc under
linux because this is the OS we mainly use and because the build system of
vlc is a little bit unix-centric so it is somewhat easier to do. But this
isn't a requirement.

If you still want to install Linux on your computer, you could start by
installing debian on you pc (Dell). Debian is a really nice linux
distribution for developpers and it additionally already contains packages
for the mingw32 cross-compiler.

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas