[vlc-devel] Re:[vlc-devel] Re: VLC AX opens new framed desktop window instead of playing inside the host application's window

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Tue Dec 20 00:57:11 CET 2005

The parent window is inherited through a private variable
called 'drawable', which is set by the activex control on
activation; and it is possible that the control does not get
properly activated by Zinc, because it may not support
windowed activex controls as most of them are typically
windowless.
Just to rule out other possiblities, have you tried using the
activex control directly on internet explorer, you can use the
following test page.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/file/trunk/activex/test.html

if you also get a framed window, then I would suggest that you
reset your preferences, and try again.
There might be some settings which may be conflicting,
although I know of none, which would cause this effect.

> yes, the cone logo is displayed at the position where the AX
COntrol is
> supposed to be: inside the App's Control Container Window
(class
> TOLEContainer). But right before playback starts, another
window (class
> VLC DirectX) with parent=NULL is created and inside that, a
child window
> (VLC DirectX video) that actually contains the overlay surface.
>
> I'm now looking at modules/video_output/directx/events.c,
where these

(http://www.multidmedia.com/software/zinc),
> >> the VLC ActiveX control opens a new, framed desktop
window with title
> >> bar and everything right before starting playback of a
video stream.

> >> The window is of class "VLC DirectX video" and has the
title "VLC
> >> (hardware YUV overlay DirectX output)"
> >>
> >> I guess this is because the Zinc COM Container is
somehow, let's say,
> >> not the best on earth and doesn't suport in-place
activation. But I
> >> don't have hard facts about this yet.
> >>
> >> Just wanted to ask, if somebody has some ideas about this
before
> >> diving deeper into VLC sources.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>  Jan

Dec 2005) | 3

options to disable

> --
http://developers.videolan.org/lists.html

Jusqu'au 25 décembre, participez  au grand jeu du Calendrier de l'Avent et
 gagnez tous les jours de nombreux lots, + de 300 cadeaux en jeu !