[vlc-devel] Re: RTSP restrictions on codec?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Fri Feb 25 02:06:10 CET 2005

Philippe Bridant writes:
 > P.S: Sorry for people who don't want to see this kind of mail,

You're right. This isn't really appropriate for vlc-devel; nor is your
status on some LIVE.COM mailing list, nor obligations you feel Ross
Finlayson or LIVE.COM owes you, or owes people with smartjog.com email
addresses, or others.

People contribute to videolan out of their generousity. Or at any rate
that's how I feel about whatever I've done. Although I don't use RSTP
or LIVE code, from the discussion on the mailing list it seems to fill
what would be an otherwise be a gaping hole in vlc. Furthermore, it
appears to me that in the past that Ross has been generally helpful
and responsive replies when folks have queries on aspects related to
LIVE.com code.

However I don't see how his already generous contributions in any way
obligates Ross or LIVE.com to provide what he may feel is free
consulting service to anyone by whatever definition HE decides on - as
far as I'm concerned it could be completely arbitrary. After all it's
his time he's donating.

As for myself, the acrid email emanating smartjog.com sort of turns me
off should someone with a smartjog.com email address ask me for
assistance on something I may have contributed and discourages me (if
not also others) from considering smartjog.com should I ever be in a
position to recommend them or use their services. So it probably makes
best *business* sense to air your quibbles with LIVE.com outside of
vlc-devel.