[vlc-devel] S/PDIF & nforce issue

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Fri Aug 18 17:23:49 CEST 2006

I have been having an S/PDIF issue for a few months now, and between
google and #videolan I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.
Is there an S/PDIF & Alsa expert here who could help me figure out the
problem?

The issue: S/PDIF works fine in mplayer with the -ac hwac3 option, but
I can't seem to get it working in VLC (or MythTV), it gives me this
error:

VLC media player 0.8.4 Janus
[00000311] a52 decoder: A/52 channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:448000
[00000314] alsa audio output error: internal: can't find audio-device (10)
[00000314] oss audio output error: cannot reset OSS audio device

I set hw:0,1 to be the device in the VLC config screen (card 0: NVidia
[HDA NVidia], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital])

Would it be best to copy the mplayer AC3 code into VLC, or is there
some sort of weird alsa configuration that I have to do?  I strongly
dislike mplayer due to its unacceptable deinterlacing and inability to
keep audio & video in sync.  I have tried every Alsa/SPDIF page I
could find with Google, but the best I can do is to make the
mixed-analog work.

Thanks,
Mark