[vlc-devel] 0.8.6 plans

Clément Stenac zorglub at diwi.org
Mon May 15 10:40:24 CEST 2006

Hi,

0.8.5 has not seen a lot of improvements over the past version, let's
make a great 0.8.6.

One of the goals will of course be the long-awaited vout improvements.
These changes have been waiting for far too long to be ignored once
more. The main changes that we need to do are:
 - OSD at output resolution. This will allow for high resolution OSD,
   even on "small" video, and for OSD on black bars.
 - Ability for user to select video filters 2 - and conversion of the
   candidates video filters to video filters 2. The most complex part
   here will be to handle on-the-fly adds/removals.
 - Stream-time timing for subpictures. This would allow subtitles to
   remain enabled while on pause.

I personnaly don't have much time to coordinate this effort, I hope
someone will step in to do this (doesn't always mean "do all the code",
of course).

Another pending point is improvement of clock synchro. I don't really
know how to tackle this correctly. I think we could start by decoupling
the stream time clock from the absolute time. This should give us some
improvements on pause handling, underruns handling, ...
More details to come on the wiki.

The playlist improvements are currently being done, and I'm quite
confident we can reach something quite nice for 0.8.6.

Depending on the motivation of ppl, getting rid of WX could also be a
release target...

I think we can set the target feature freeze for end of july (2.5 months
development time).
Our previous release cycles have been quite slow (3 months between
features freeze and release), I hope that we can overcome this, by
setting stricter targets for features freeze, test1, test2 and release.

Have fun and let's revive a project that is a bit falling asleep,

--
Zorglub
Clément Stenac