[vlc-devel] vlc: svn commit r21822 (jb)

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Fri Sep 7 08:50:19 CEST 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 08:31:56AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Fri,  7 Sep 2007 00:29:27 +0200 (CEST), Subversion daemon
> <svn at videolan.org> wrote:
> > r21822 | jb | 2007-09-07 00:29:27 +0200 (Fri, 07 Sep 2007) | 3 lines
> > Changed paths:
> >    M /trunk/modules/gui/qt4/dialogs/sout.cpp
> >    M /trunk/modules/gui/qt4/ui/sout.ui
> >
> > Qt4 - Sout: UDP is back
>
> I am very much against this. UDP is *totally* broken.
> Putting it to the GUI incites people to use it, especially as "UDP" is a
> better known accronym than RTP. That is exactly what we wanted to decided
> to NOT do.

I fully support this position. I'm explaining for several years that raw UDP
is naive approach totally ignoring IP principles and the fact that it works
for someone is more a matter of coincidence. Unfortunately, there are still
some STB manufacturers (e.g. Amino) which despite several requests from
customers still ignore 10-years old RFCs about RTP and only accept
raw UDP streams.

So if someone really needs it, it might be a good idea to have UDP available
via command line. Anyway, all the documentation should IMHO explicitly
discourage such usage. Having it in GUI will surely motivate people to use
it even in situations where there's absolutely no reason for it - so this
is clearly not a good idea.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Ďurkovič                       network  manager         ----