[vlc-devel] [Patch] fix for VolumeBar in Toolbar, compatible to wxwidgets 2.8 (fixed)

Dominique Leuenberger dominique at leuenberger.net
Mon Apr 7 20:40:51 CEST 2008

Quoting Dominique Leuenberger <dominique at leuenberger.net>:

> Hi,
>
> As you know, when compiling vlc 0.8.6 and also 0.9.0 against
> wxwidgets  2.8, the volume bar and the speaker icon in the toolbar
> are mis-aligned.
>
> Together with the wxwidgets team we found that there seems to be a
> problem when positioning custom controls in the toolbar. The
> solution  was to get rid of the customn control (which was just a
> combination of  a bmp tool and a wxGauge) and put the two objects
> independent in the  toolbar.
>
> There patch strips out the VLCVolCtrl Class (no longer needed) and
> places a bmp tool and a wxSlider in the Toolbar (I replaced the
> wxGauge; wxSlider is actually more what correct for this use case,
> and  in plus, wxGauge does not have any Events, as it's meant as an
> 'output' only.
>
> When the slider is moved completely to the left, the speaker bmp is
> changed to speaker_mute_xpm.
>
> The patch is for 0.8.6f, I'll work on a patch for 0.9.0 today.. I
> assume there should not be much differences, considering the fact
> that  not much changes were done on wxwidgets for 0.9.0, due to
> missing  maintainer.
>
> Maybe this patch could go in a upcoming 0.8.6x version tree (should
> there be any). (I did not yet test the patch against wxwidgets 2.6,
> but considering that there are only standard widgets used, this
> should  not be to much of an issue, (praying for it)
>
> Dominique

Phew... sorry for the problems you had with the patches from me. I
finally managed to fix the patch for wxGTK 2.8 compatibility,
replacement of wxGauge by wxSLider (this should also make windows Vista
user happier, as the volume bar on Vista with it's green 'blocks' looks
pretty bad.

The problem with the patch actually were empty lines which were not
completely empty, or a typical error I made was having a whitespace at
the end of a line, mostly after , when lines were split on other lines.

Is there a trick to have git already complain when creating the patch?
It's pretty silly that I can create a patch, but you're then not able
to apply it... this does not make to much sense, does it?

Nevertheless, please find attached a corrected patch, that now
hopefully applies cleanly.