[vlc-devel] Problems with multiple instances of libvlc

cb cbouleau at users.sf.net
Thu Apr 24 22:32:28 CEST 2008

Hi,

In VideoLAN "Web and scripting" Forum, the following topic has been
posted:

	Problem with multiple instances of ActiveX in web pages

	Postby cjcantero on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:01 pm
	<<I'm developing a web application that lets to the user play
multiple videos (RTP/UDP live streaming) simultaneously in the same
page. One user can chose 1, 4, 9 or 16 videos a time, but i have some
problems with it. Logically I have 16 ActiveX instances in my web page
(that I hide or show according to the user selection).
	When I close or refresh the application, the browser crash (IE
and Firefox). Some times, when I invoke the playItem method, the browser
crash too.
	I detect that the probability that it happens is greater when
some video has been played. This situation makes the application very
unstable.>>

And Jean-Baptiste Kempf replied:

	Postby j-b on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:23 am

	Known bug. Help us fixing it.

	Jean-Baptiste Kempf
	http://www.jbkempf.com/ -
http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
	VLC media player developer and Sites administrator

I wanted to know if this problem is the same one which occurs with a
standalone application based upon libvlc too.
Indeed I am building a video player (with libvlc 0.8.6c on Win XP,
multiple instances of player simultaneously playing, audio or video) and
I have similar problems.
For example, changing the current playing item (using
libvlc_playlist_play) frequently causes a crash or an abnormal and
unpredictable behaviour (the subsequent libvlc functions calls does not
work normally).

Is the "Known bug" identified by JB Kempf being processed by libvlc
developer team ?
What advice can you give me ?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Chris B.