[vlc-devel] One week to 0.9.0 release

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Aug 9 08:01:53 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 08:31:25PM +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote :
> On 8 aug 2008, at 16:57, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > 	Hello,
> >
> > This reminder for those who forgot that the version 0.9.0 is to be
> > tagged
> > sometime during the week-end after this one.
> >
> > This leaves 7 days for you to submit bug fixes and translations
> > updates. After
> > that, you'll have to wait for the 0.9.1 release (no earlier than
> > October
> > unless there is a security/critical fix to be made). It also means
> > it's
> > pretty much too late for 0.9.0-test bug reports at this point, since
> > there is
> > no chance anyone will have time to address them.
> >
> > Looking forward to the 16th, best regards,
>
> I just hope we can make that. Tagging perhaps, but I doubt we can
> distribute by then yet. We sure have made great strides forward
> however lately, we are slowly getting somewhere that seems releasable.
> I think releasing a crashing and half-functional vlc would be a very
> bad idea and I think we need to decide as a group next week wether we
> are satisfied enough with the current state of VLC to put it on the
> market.
>
> The bug that worries me most atm is http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1749
>   It potentially affects a large set of files, and I'm not sure how
> well we can get it in order. And that situation worries me even more
> because this week many devs seem to be on holiday (fenrir, xtophe,
> myself at the end of the week)

Well, I have to say that I doubt we are ready for a 0.9.0. For a Release
Candidate, I think so, but for an actual release, I doubt it...

While I can fix most of the important Qt bugs this week, we have issues
that are worrying:
 - chroma conversion (1749 and 1762)
 - H264 streaming segfaulting (1756)
 - VLC for windows never quitting on 'one instance mode' and when you
   activate any deinterlacing filter (1598 and forum)
 - FLV streaming is broken again (1662)

Then, it might take some time to have a correct windows packaging,
especially since xtophe is away, and same for mac.
But one would say that this would not change the source tagging, and one
would be right :D

Have a nice week end, bugfixing...

Best Regards,

--