[vlc-devel] Speex audio in .flv container

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Fri Aug 22 17:42:39 CEST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:39:49 -0500, Steven Woolley wrote:
>Hi all, I'm messing with the flash player 10 beta, which allows audio
>to be recorded in Speex format, but having a hard time converting it
>to anything else from the .flv.  I'm betting this will become a lot

please upload a sample somewhere.

>yet (and I'm not even sure the .flv's I'm generating are correct, but
>noone is, because until you have something that will read it, there's
>now way to say it's working or not!)

if it was created in adobe flash player, and can be played by afp, its
ok. but you can check flv spec to find out:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flv/pdf/video_file_format_spec_v9.pdf
page 10 lists the audio codecs, i dont see speex.

you might also ask mike melanson, head of penguin.swf (adobe flash
linux plugin). or gnash and swfdec projects.

>So, a) is there any way to get vlc or ffmpeg to work with speex?  I am
>willing to do a custom compile, change code, etc. (if I knew where to start!)

you can take a look at ffmpeg/libavformat/flvdec.c and add the
codec_id_speex to the list of 'supported audio codecs'.

>or b) failing that, how do I simply output the raw speex audio stream from
>the flv to a pipe or file? So I can decode it with the official speex stuff?

hmm, you can try mplayer -dumpaudio file.flv
or maybe even mplayer -demuxer rawaudio -rawaudio format=.... (add a
format id number to codecs.conf under audiocodec speex)
but i wouldnt bet on either working.

hope this helps!
-compn