[vlc-devel] libvlc set parent question

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 20:26:28 CET 2008

Hi Pierre,

The output window is DirectX. If I use libvlc_video_set_parent the video
plays in the window I pass to it. If I use libvlc_media_instance_set_drawable
instead it doesn't work, I get the standard DirectX output window in which
the video plays and my window remais blank.

At least I have one way of doing what I need, which is fine for me.

Jacques

On Jan 21, 2008 1:05 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008, at 6:38 PM, jboileau wrote:
>
> > Well I was using libvlc_video_set_parent and giving it an already
> > created window handle and it worked fine.
> >
> > But what I really need and want to do now is have a child window to
> > an existing main window in which to play the video. I was wondering
> > if I need to create a window and make it a child of my main window
> > using media_instance_set_drawable or does libvlc creates its own
> > window and I need to make that window a child of my main window
> > using libvlc_video_set_parent or something else entirely.
> >
> > I just need the VLC output window to be a child of my main window.
>
> libvlc does nothing regarding window management the only entry points
> are the (get_|set_)drawable/set_parent, which manipulates drawable.
> You want to create the child window yourself, and pass to the
> video_ouput driver using set_drawable (or set_parent). If it doesn't
> work you'll need to fix the vlc video_output module you are using.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Pierre.

Jacques Boileau