[vlc-devel] commit: Remove --enable-rtmp. ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Thu Mar 6 20:10:45 CET 2008

Remi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:54:02 +0100, Jean-Paul Saman
> <jean-paul.saman at planet.nl> wrote:
>> git version control wrote:
>>> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <rem at videolan.org> | Wed Mar
>>  5 21:59:27 2008 +0200| [f26a646b38f93d0386141ee760fab791697fa84b]
>>> Remove --enable-rtmp.
>>>
>>> We have enough --enable-foobar already.
>>> RTMP does not have any dependency and is not huge.
>> I don't agree. It is fine for normal desktop/server use, but not for
>> embedded use were disk storage and memory is scarce. From the embedded
>> point of view having more --enable-foobar is better.
>
> This makes no sense. We have 340+ plugins, and we certainly do NOT want to
> have --enable flags for everyone of them. There are plenty of fairly
> useless plugins that are always on by default. It would be totally
> impractical otherwise, for both developers and external packagers, as the
> churn of option would be too high for them to keep up.

I agree that having 340+ enable/disable flags in the configure script is
impratical. So I would want to suggest to use an approach like this:

AC_WITH_ARG(modules, [select specific modules to use this will limit the
default list of plugins used (default as always)])
if test -z "${with_modules}"; then
    VLC_ADD_PLUGIN[ .. ]
    VLC_ADD_PLUGIN[ .. ]
else
     /* only add those which are mentioned */
fi

Add an option to specifically select a set of modules. The default
behaviour would be the same as always, just adding all the plugins that
do not depend on specific libraries, etc.

The --with-modules flag can then be used to limit the number of plugins
build and installed for those who care about it.

Gtz
Jean-Paul Saman.