[vlc-devel] [RFC] Option whitelisting policy

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Mon Sep 22 14:47:20 CEST 2008

Since 0.9.x, options have to be whitelisted to be usuable outside the
command line. (for example in .m3u playlists)

We currently only whitelist a few options in the core and no options at
all in any of the modules. I wanted to have a go at whitelisting a bunch
of those options and wondered what might be considered as
"whitelist-able" and what would not.

In my opinion, options which can output data on the network or on the
local filesystem, can change plugin loading paths, change the
configuration path shouldn't be whitelisted.

Any other option could be whitelisted. (except volume since that could
hurt your ears pretty bad :p)

I'd appreciate comments. If I don't get any, I'll do the change
tomorrow.

Cheers,

--
Antoine Cellerier