[vlc-devel] 0.9.2 SAP

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Tue Sep 23 17:44:42 CEST 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:17:30 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote
> Le mardi 23 septembre 2008 14:21:52 Johann Hanne, vous avez écrit :
> > The same applies to the time description (t=start end) field. 0.9.2
> > complains with "sap debug: missing SDP time description" and ignores the
> > announcement. Yes, this behavior is RFC compliant, but still annoying,
> > especially because 0.8.x was much more liberal. I know about commercial
> > encoders which will now fail with vlc now, so IMHO the issue should be
> > addressed.
>
> Yes indeed this problem should be addressed. File a bug with the
> so-called "professional" encoders. Being open-source does not mean
> working around proprietary bugs.

What's the point of pedantically enforcing order of fields in SDPs on the
*receive* side - especially when it makes the code unnecessarily complex?
And I bet you have some logical error in that code, since expect is never
assigned the value of 'm' although you have "case 'm'" there...

Sure, VLC should never generate non-compliant SDPs, but the basic Internet
principles apply here as well:

Robustness Principle

         At every layer of the protocols, there is a general rule whose
         application can lead to enormous benefits in robustness and
         interoperability [IP:1]:

                "Be liberal in what you accept, and
                 conservative in what you send"

        With kind regards,