[vlc-devel] Windoows Support...

Tony Anecito adanecito at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 21:10:13 CEST 2008

Hi VLC Team,

I saw the email regarding windows support. I am willing to take ownership but that would mean I would focus on stablizing the windows code and not adding enhancements. Also, I would setup a different project and pull the modules from the vlc project.

Also, it would focus on stability, making it a smaller distro and not new features (at least for several months) and use a java GUI from MyUniPortal. I simply do not have time to create or maintain the qt GUI and will only focus on the client side. I strongly believe the streaming server side should be left to the Linux implementation.

Since the advent of the new java multimedia support (Java Media Control) from Sun for Windows and Linux I am not sure how long it would be before I would change to that set of codecs (larger development support?) since I do not need alot of the functionality provided by VLC and I believe the bigger user base is Windows where I am located thus have no interest in the Linux side of VLC.

There is a lot of great features in VLC and I hate to see you completely lose all the windows users but I understand your situation.

Regards,
-Tony