[vlc-devel] Christian Santa Hat removal?

Michael Schultz mjschultz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 05:04:11 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:10:03PM -0500, Rob Whelan wrote:
> This is not a 'feature' that is to be improved over time.  It is a choice by
> designers to introduce a non functional endorsement for a holiday that is
> not shared by most of the world.

Well I must disagree with that.  I think the feature *could* be improved
over time.  I can't speak for all the developers, but if people started
submitting patches with other holiday icons (I'll emphasize the point that
a Santa hat is not religious), they would be included.

The fact is, these unexpected items of note bring a smile to the developers
faces when they use the program they worked so hard on.  I can guarantee
that a happy developer is a more productive developer.

> I am not sure who comprises the 'vast majority' of users as you put it, but
> I am not at all certain that you are privy to that data.

I believe in your original message, you claimed that "many users" don't
think the icon is a good idea.  I'm not certain that you are privy to that
data either, so I'll invalidate both the pro-santa and anti-santa points.
My money is on most users don't care either way.

I'm not sure if this is a battle you'll want to continue fighting.  Perhaps
you should redirect your efforts towards Google, a public entity that also
changes their logo during holidays.

Regards,

--
Michael Schultz