[vlc-devel] commit: gestures: change volume on playlist rather than interface ( Rémi Denis-Courmont )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Fri Jul 10 10:14:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:52:03 +0200, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
> >  AFAIK, the *only* reason to have more than one aout object at the same
> > time is to use two distinct audio devices (which might be wanted, no
> idea).
>
> I do not know if VLC does sampling, coding, and mixing properly when more
> than one input has an active audio track in the same instance.
 It does (unless a bug has been introduced). If we cannot select multiple
audio tracks as the moment, it is only because of input API and GUI display
problems (but nothing serious at the input API level, probably 1 day work).

> Even then,
> the user may want different settings for different inputs - this is
> self-evident if you have more than one video in the same browser page for
> instance. Also, the audio output back-end might apply a different policy to
> different VLC inputs (although I admit this is still nascent in PulseAudio,
> and absent in VLC).
 Well we can perfectly have multiple aouts, I was just saying that it was not
absolutly needed unless we use multiple devices.
 Per input (or even per audio stream) settings is possible if they are applied
before mixing (no support for that but should be easy to add if wanted).

Remark: I have no problem with multiple aout, just saying what are our options.

 There is one case where multiples aout may be needed: when using spdif. We
currently cannot gives both ac3 and pcm to the aout and still use the spdif
output. But here, there is at least 2 solutions: 2 aout or re-encoding to ac3
(which is something some people wants).

--
fenrir