[vlc-devel] Theora/Ogg encoding

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Sat Jul 25 16:55:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009, ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com wrote:
> >> Would it be deemed alright to use the i_length mtime_t member from block_t
> >> to store this granpos in the theora encoder, and pull it in the ogg muxer
> >> ?
> >
> > Iff i_length is not needed otherwise for Theora.
>
> The encoder does not (though some other codecs do).
> The decoder fills i_length, but these are distinct uses.
> Patch attached.
 I really dislike this hack (as I explained in another mail).

 Beside, it is far from being complete: the length field should also be
set when reading a theora file otherwise remuxing without encoding won't work.

 But that creates a lot of problems:
 - avformat need to be modified to return it (I don't think it does)
 - src/input/* *will* modify it based on the input rate and clock drift.
 - stream_out/muxers need to be reviewed
 - ...

 So I really think that being able to reconstruct the granpos at the muxer
side would be better.

Regards,

--
fenrir