[vlc-devel] Future of the update mechanism

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Jul 30 18:12:40 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 06:58:40PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> However... the update code was one of the few (the only?) thing that OSX
> developers could be relied on for fixing and testing. Seriously, who is
> writing the Windows code? The Windows UI is written by Linux devs, especially
> J-B, by virtue of the Qt4 commonality. The core Windows support is -sort of-
> maintained by the WinCE guys and myself. The contrib, even though it's an
> OSX+Windows thing, is maintained by Linux developers too! And in fact, the
> update code was written by a Linux dev, and then rewritten by another one.
>
> I have no rights to blame OSX volunteer developers for not caring about
> Windows., and so, I am not going to do it. But, if they cannot be bothered to
> support the update code, then I will stop maintaining the Windows core.
> Afterall I could not care less either.

The point is that updates on Windows is boring, because it will need
UAC to run the new installer. Moreover it needs to quit VLC just after
that.
If we can't do that (other open source soft do it, so the code is
present), then I recommand to just posting a message when update is
found and not do the download ourselves.

> Then again, if Sparkle supports offline DSA... no problem.
I think it does.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf