[vlc-devel] mjpeg demux and infinite wait.

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Mar 16 12:56:44 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:46:03 +0100, Sébastien Escudier
<sebastien-devel at celeos.eu> wrote:
> Quoting Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
>
>> We could. But would a 2 hours timeout really help?
>
> As you said before, this is a system issue, nothing to do with VLC.
> So I changed this value on my system.

As it comes to custom embedded systems, that makes sense.

But in the "normal" case, we have no control over /proc, and hence they are
mostly useless. Worse, we don't want to blindly enable TCP-level
keep-alives. In some cases, we have application-layer keep-alives anyway
(e.g. RTSP client). In other cases, we simply don't need them (especially
server-side). Sending keep-alives and even programming them in the system
timer consumes battery (and money if you pay-per-bit). Also, it forces your
peer to consumes its own battery and/or money.

I don't know about MJPEG, but I think we should refrain from using
SO_KEEPALIVE in the generic VLC socket code.