[vlc-devel] [RFC] immediate removal of media list

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed May 13 16:54:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009 01:36:34 -0700, "Pierre d'Herbemont"
<pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
> Locking is a complex problem. I am sorry, but you need to explain
> which part of the API is broken. Given that it is correctly layered,
> having a part of the upper layer broken does not affect the other. I
> strongly suspect you speaking about media_list_player stuff.

It's the media_list actually.

>> Besides, the playlist should be managed directly by the application, not
>> by libvlc.
>
> Depends on wether you want to write VLC on top of libvlc. Which would
> makes sense IMO.

I doubt anyone will ever find the courage to port VLC user interfaces to
libvlc. Well, we would have to ditch the Qt4 UI. Looking back at the 0.9
development, that will not happen anytime soon. Moreiver we would loose the
ability to run more than one interface at a time. It might be a bit
challenging to handle for, say, hotkeys.

> Well, I suggest you to throw what is not working. I'll eventually
> re-introduce it, fixed. But vlc has become boring for me :/

> I am kind of happy with the new attention brought to libvlc though.
>
> Remember that the ultimate goal of libvlc is not to produce an API for
> third party developers. It is to produce a sane API that a vlc app
> could link against. Such as every sane application tends to do.

I disagree, but I think that is not relevant to the topic of the brokenness of
the libvlc media list.