[vlc-devel] Qt media browser (playlist selector) reorganisation

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Nov 9 09:08:43 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 05:04:44PM +0100, Jakob Leben wrote :
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> >
> > Missing is:
> >  - Media Library
> >  -- lua SD (under Internet Sources)
> >

> Do you mean to literally have an entry "Lua Scripts" which would list all
> the Playlist type lua scripts and then user can drop somewhere an URL which
> will get interpreted by the desired / appropriate script and result inserted
> as child items of that particular top lua script item?
No, I mean that the lua SD should be listed underneath it.
luaSD would probably replace most Internet SD (Shoutcast, Shoutcast TV,
Freebox, etc...)

> > I would have joined Discs and External Devices.
> >

> Yes, that sounds logical. So you would let all the children of those two pop
> up mixed under one category (my suggestion) or still have some kind of
> subcategories? A nice way of categorisation without the need of extra
> subnodes is maybe just - icons. Plus we could also automatically sort the
> items by where they come from.

I have to say that I don't care.
Discs do not work on Win32 or OSX and are not that useful on Linux.
I believe that the MTP and Gpod (if we ever have) should be listed under
devices mixed up, as you suggest. FOr a user a device is a device, and
he doesn't care that stupid $big_company decided to create yet another
standard.

> > I don't like the names of "External Devices" and "Internet Sources"
> > We need rephrases.
>
> Maybe something like Remote (Sources?/XX) and Local (Sources?/Devices?/XX)
 - "Devices" is fine. I don't see the need to change.
 - "Network Libraries" or "Internet Libraries" or "

> > Well, something that is still missing from that change I introduced, is
> > that I believe that the active SD should be in bold or italic when
> > actived.

> Well, you see, if then we don't have separate nodes for MTP, UPnP and
> Bonjour (which is my suggestion), there is no way of giving information
> whether each of those separate modules is active. And I find it counter
> intuitive that one could for instance manually turn off inserted/removed
> disc notifications or device notifications, I never saw that in any program.
True for devices. But again, most SD we have are Net or Web SD.

> IMHO I would leave particular SD activation / deactivation and any info
> regarding that solely buried somewhere in preferences.
I don't think this is wise.
VLC has always been low in memory and we shouldn't activate 20 different
modules by default.

I believe, we should reopen the last state on open and let people
deactivate SDs.

> I discovered Songbird <http://getsongbird.com/> and from a screenshot it
> looks like they show connected MTP devices directly at top level in their
> "selector" without ever having a "MTP" category or even "Devices". Although
> I would still group devices and discs into a category, like you suggested,
> still this protocol- or discovery-method-agnosticism is what I like and
> think is the way to go in a GUI.
Songbird is SLOW as hell. But true, devices should be in some grouped
category.

While Devices are special cases, most other SD are not.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/