[vlc-devel] dionoea where art thou ?

Jean-Philippe André jpeg at videolan.org
Sun Oct 25 02:23:08 CET 2009

> Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > There was a GSoC about lua scripts. What is it about exactly, how does
> > it affect this? What's its status?
>
>dionoea was the mentor so perhaps he can comment

Sephiroth (Fabio) has done a GSoC on Lua scripts for web discovery services.
(/me being his mentor) The goal was to be able to browse Youtube-like websites
within VLC (and without HTML/Flash).
IIRC, the feature is ready, and needs only some last code review before merge,
and nice GUIs.

One of the requirements in his work was to get a 'drag'n'drop' capability:
once you copy/paste your script in the scripts folder, you get the new feature
installed (ie. support for a new website).
This project has exactly the same issue as lua parsers do (web pages change
all the time).

It would indeed be nice (for this project too) to have some community-based
distribution of the scripts. For legal matters and to be more up-to-date...

--
Jean-Philippe André (jpeg)