[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: skins2(Linux): A XSync is needed (Erwan Tulou)

brezhoneg1 brezhoneg1 at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 8 20:51:56 CET 2010

On 08/11/2010 17:42, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lundi 8 novembre 2010 16:19:06 git at videolan.org, vous avez écrit :
>> vlc | branch: master | Erwan Tulou<erwan10 at videolan.org>  | Mon Nov  8
>> 12:19:45 2010 +0100| [0656ac9c68a5e6abb81ca132771d3fa3c1fc296f] |
>> committer: Erwan Tulou
>>
>> skins2(Linux): A XSync is needed
>>
>> This partially fixes the position indicator getting blurry, because
>> XGetImage didn't retrieve the latest change in pixmap (Previous XCopyArea
>> calls may still be pending)
>>
>> Note that XSync is needed but not sufficient. Sporadic blurriness can still
>> happen, because there seems to be no way to know for sure when the pixmap
>> content is really updated.
> As far as I know, XGetImage is meant for screen capture, not for UI
> implementation. So no wonder it is not working quite right.

  Yes, there is probably a design flaw in this pattern. Yet compositing
in the X server and bringing back small areas that need alpha-blending,
usually text with anti aliasing, seems common practice, especially for
applications that refrain from using too many X extensions.

  But, on the other hand, XRender or even better Opengl could bring a
lot to skins2 to keep up with what other video players offer these days.
(full transparency, 3D playlist, ...)