[vlc-devel] Need help developing text-to-speech-module in VLC - offering £5.000

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Apr 7 12:05:14 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 11:59:14AM +0200, Sandra Derbring wrote :
> We have already opted out of using bitmaps or burnt subtitles, just because
> that would require so much more work and in the end probably still be
> unreliable. Our idea is to let the user download subtitles from the web,
> that is plain text in *.srt format. The video files, though, will come from
> DVDs in the evaluation study we will be doing, and not be downloaded.

Are you limiting to .srt or any text format? Because I believe VLC
supports many more text formats.

> user state this). In terms of free vs licensing, will this be a problem? On
> top of my head, I can think of espeak (not very good) and Festival,
> supporting Swedish phonetics, but I am sure there are more.

If you speak about this Festival: http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/
the license, is a X11 type license and is compatible with the LGPL and
GPLv2+ of VLC.

> is that the engine wouldn't come with the module, but work with the one
> already in place on the user's system (if applicable).

What OS are targetted by the project?

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf