[vlc-devel] VLC for Android Volunteer

Dominique Martinet asmadeus at codewreck.org
Thu Jun 30 10:15:39 CEST 2011

Garret Kelly wrote on Thu, Jun 30, 2011 :
> I had found the AndroidCompile wiki page and followed the instructions
> there. One of the steps was out of date, so I updated the wiki page.
> I've got a build that seems to work nicely on my Nexus One. A quick
> test on my Xoom crashed it with an illegal instruction (I expected it,
> given that I built with NEON support enabled, which the Tegra 2 in the
> Xoom lacks).
>
> Is there any plan to do runtime selection of the correct library, or
> is the distribution plan to offer multiple APKs?

None for neon/no-neon, no -- because the choice is given as soon as
ffmpeg's build in the contribs, and we'd need to at least link against
it dynamically and dlopen() it.. given the pain it was for opensles
already, and given the size of the library that does matter, I think
it's better to give two different binaries.
If you have a magic idea, we're open to suggestion, but I honestly can't
think of anything that's not overly complicated and reliable :P
So multiple APKs it is.

The build system should probably still work with the NO_NEON shell
variable set, if you're interested, but it needs another contrib tree
build so might as well do another whole checkout for it (don't forget to
clean if you try)

Regards,
--
Dominique Martinet | Asmadeus