[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Qt: menu: move advanced open.

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Sat Mar 26 07:06:44 CET 2011

> As I already said several times, we could probably remove "Paste
> URL" and "Open Network Location". We could replace that with "Open
> Location" right next to "Open File".

Okay. But we probably want to keep the paste feature. So we would have
two shortcuts for this dialog, one that pastes from the clipboard and
one that doesn't?

> But we need to keep in mind that a browser and a media player are
> different beasts. The ratio of local to remote locations is probably
> much higher in VLC usage than in Mozilla usage. As for new windows /
> new
> tabs, we don't do them in VLC.

Speaking of which, why can't I access media from the playlist/media
library from the Media menu?

> I think we should remove the disc and capture items in favor of the
> playlist/SD. We already have Disc SD on both Linux and Windows. For
> capture, some more work is needed on the SD side.

If you remove their open panels, how are you going to allow opening
them with advanced inputs options? From the SD? Do you want to expand
the corresponding disc items to show all tracks/chapters? How to select
dvdsimple:// ? What about capture devices with several input pins, are
the individual pins going to be listed? Is this portable to dshow,
where you call the system configuration panel of the driver to do that?
What about tuners, what about manual tuning to a given frequency? What
about trigerring scanning? Where should be the boundaries between
SD/playlist/ML for lists of disc tracks or detected channels, and for
saving/streaming/advanced opening of SD items?

Also, how to play several items at the same time? Especially, capturing
audio and video? I know that the capture dialog sucks too because it
doesn't even allow to capture audio alone on linux, but as for the
SD, design doesn't look obvious since audio and video are split into
separate categories.

> However, I think we all agree that we still need a network item in
> some form ("Open Location"). Also unless someone finds a way to merge
> advanced file and normal file opens, we need to keep them both, with
> the normal one first. And I'm not convinced that this can be solved
> with the current QtGui library.

While I somewhat agree, why don't you bring up the fact that network
items should be acquired by the SD through SAP, Icecast... and files
should just be browsed from the media directories SD and so on? What
warrants the right to an open panel, or belonging in the SD?

We should think about the granularity of a "source" in the SD, and I
think we might want add advanced open commands to SD items.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."