[vlc-devel] VLC for Android private Beta???

Régis Montoya r3gis.3r at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 23:01:16 CEST 2011

On 11/09/2011 21:20, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 09:02:25PM +0200, David Glaude wrote :
>> There seems to be a private beta of VLC for Android going on (
>> http://www.frandroid.com/applications/79565_vlc-sur-android-arrive-en-beta-privee/)
>> and there is an APK floating all around.
> THere is no private beta, there is a call for testers on the website,
> because of the issues with fragmentation...
> All the sources are out, apk are floating all around...
>
> Best Regards,

Hi,

Just little point about that, I produced a build on my website to
support RTSP protocol (I published the patch for that as well :
http://nightlies.csipsimple.com/other_projects/vlc/ -- probably not good
to be integrated directly as it cause may break other features).
But I think that the approach of file:// scheme only and providing path
to native layer only is a bad idea all the more so as it's the only
blocking point that does not allow to play video streams ;). -- and it
works very very well when unlocked :) (amazingly even better than on my
linux pc).

I have a lot of devices to test on thanks to the fact my mobile carrier
sent me a lot of device to test for another opensource project (a SIP
application) -- I also faced a lot of issues with audio layer on android
(there is a lot of workarounds to do in order to have audio routed
properly on all devices).  And I'm currently debugging a problem current
VLC code has on the asus transformer tablet. If I find something
interesting I will be pleased to contribute :).

Other topic, did you saved a draft of the app on the main markets?
(android market,...).
I ask that because you should care about blocking the package name as
soon as possible in order to not have to change it later : android
market for example does not allow to have two apps on the market that
have same package name. (Well it's easy to refactor, but would be
annoying to change that in the middle of your development).

Anyway, keep up the good work. :)

Regards