[vlc-devel] [RFC] Resetting VLC's preferences for the Mac users during the 2.0.2 release

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:46:01 CEST 2012

On 16.04.2012, at 16:41, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le lundi 16 avril 2012 11:55:35 Felix Paul Kühne, vous avez écrit :
>> I didn't. In fact, that code isn't running on the Mac and I have no idea
>> why there's a significant number of users with broken preferences. A few
>> of them told me that they enabled it on their on in the advanced
>> preferences, because they thought it was reasonable to enable the macosx
>> intf on macosx...
>
> So you're proposing to reset the preferences of everyone because someone
> screwed their configuration. That's a big red flag.

That was my initial idea, which is definitely bad. It's not a single guy, but like 50 per cent of all users posting on the Mac forums at the moment (which is obviously not 50 per cent of the installed base).

I'll go with the following now:

when upgrading to 2.0.2, VLC for Mac will check the "extraintf" and "control" settings. If these include the term "macosx", it will be removed and VLC in turn restarted. That's it.

Best regards,

Felix