[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 28 23:41:52 CET 2012

> > version() for debugging and for testing if required version is
> > present.
>
> If Pierre is right, checking for nil is a lot better and more likely
> to be forward compatible.

Checking for nil works and is used in the youtube script, for both
function tables (vlc.misc) and individual functions.

> > copyright() for debugging.
>
> I don't see how copyright is relevant to debug.
>
> > mdate() for debugging callbacks.

Why should we care about debugging? I think it's not a good idea to
clutter the API with functions that could find a more or less vague
justification in printing random strings to be sen by the developer.
We've already broken stuff, so let's take this chance and clear the
crap.

> > mwait() for doing a sleep/poll.

Promotes bad programming.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."