[vlc-devel] [Asso] Update on the VLC project

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri May 4 11:10:48 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 09:02:57AM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> > I am doing a lot on:
> >  - PR (Lemonde twice, lepoint, figaro, engadget, unixmen, etc...)
> >  - communication and SEO: the website has never had more traffic,
> >  - legal (Hadopi, DMCA, LCEN, DRM, patents)
> >  - partnerships (SF, Microsoft, AMD, nVidia, ATI, Intel, ADC)
> >  - support and help to newcomers
> >  - relicensing to get more corporate users around libVLC and such
> >  - starting a company to employ the core developers.
>
> That's very good but that's all PR and legal stuff, not development, which
> is what my point was about.

Yes, but Pierre mails complained about all of those, which is unfair.
Those things listed above are the task of the non-profit and we are
doing it in a more than good way.
Development of VLC is not the task of the non-profit.

> The git is managed very much according to the Bazaar model. There is no
> roadmap. This is probably fine for the project, but the fact is that there
> is no roadmap and no steering of development.

Sure. But having an empty roadmap that we are not even able to match is
useless, in a Bazaar project. The only thing it will give is frustrated
users who do not understand why this or that feature is missing: "but it
was on the roadmap"
I prefer having no roadmap and discussing with other devs what they are
working on instead of having a meaningless roadmap.

> Release management is a very opaque thing steered by you in cooperation
> with Felix.

Yeah. Release management is very hard to do correctly, for major
versions, because not everyone has the same objectives in the way they
use VLC.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf