[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] src: Fix for Mac OS X filesystem filename encoding

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Aug 22 17:12:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:01:11PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>>> This is not verbal abuse.
>> Others certainly perceive it as such.
> Not my problem. I have had more than enough of being blamed for negative
> reviews and pointing out problems.

Note that nobody's complaining about you pointing out problems; they're
complaining about the tone.

> If you think the tone is inappropriate, maybe you should ponder why does it
> always have to be me doing the complaining? Maybe then you'd realize just
> how frustrating this is to *me*.

I must admit that I don't think a lot of people consider your right (whether
justified or not) to vent your frustration when they judge whether an
environment is pleasant to stay in or not.

> The honesty of code review process and the mailing list discussion is more
> important than the subjective perception of a few. That is key to healthy
> open-source projects (the real ones, not the ones driven by a single
> organization). A review cannot always be positive. *If* you would prefer
> rubber stamping by yes men over honest review, I suggest you leave now and
> consider sticking to traditional corporate environments.

This is a false dilemma. You can say that it is unacceptable to break the
test suite without having to resort to personal attacks. I do not know
whether your emails were _meant_ as such, but they certainly do not always
come across as as constructive as they could have been. That is, to me,
anyway.

> But this is the contributor with the longest history among all active ones.
> That does not add up.

So, if it does not add up, maybe you would get things fixed just as easily
just by saying “It looks like this patch broke the test suite, could you take
a look?”.

Then again, it's not my duty to tell you how to run the VideoLAN project,
and I believe I've made my point by now, so I will refrain from posting
further to the thread.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/