[vlc-devel] How to force to disable vout reuse?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Feb 3 10:29:57 CET 2013

	Hello,

Le dimanche 3 février 2013 03:57:11, Wills Wang a écrit :
> I am integrating a HW decoder into VLC framework,  and met a VOUT reuse
> issue. Beause of VOUT reuse, sometimes, VLC don't reinit (invoke the
> "close" and "open" function) vout module when change media file,
> But for some HW decoder, DEC and VOUT is relevant, such as the same
> phyical memory,  the private pixel format, etc.
> So i need a method to disable the vout reuse feature.
> Is there any mechanism for ths situation in current framework?

The video output is destroyed and recreated if the picture pixel format or
size changes. However, if the format does not change, the video output and
buffers are reused.

Then if you have resources allocated by the decoder, the video output can
outlive the decoder. I have a similar problem implementing VDPAU video output.
I think some extra code should be added in the video output core subsystem,
but I am not sure what exactly that should be.

Otherwise, I am afraid the only solution is to allocate everything in the
video output, and pass "handles" through the picture_t.

> How to force to disable vout reuse?

I think you have to change the core code to turn it off.

http://www.remlab.net/