[vlc-devel] vlc build problem ... recompile with -fPIC ??

Mahesh Velankar mvelanka at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:45:14 UTC 2022

I am an absolute newbie to vlc.
I cloned git repo and tried to build vlc with these steps

   1. bootstrap
   2. ./configure --enable-static --disable-lua --disable-xcb --disable-qt
   --disable-a52
   3. make

It is throwing this error in the linking step.

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libsrt.a(srt_c_api.cpp.o): relocation
R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol
`_ZTVSt9basic_iosIcSt11char_traitsIcEE@@GLIBCXX_3.4'
can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
Makefile:13024: recipe for target 'libaccess_srt_plugin.la' failed
make[4]: *** [libaccess_srt_plugin.la] Error 1

Please help me on how to proceed with this build
Let me know what more details I need to provide.

Thanks