[vlc-devel] vlc build problem ... recompile with -fPIC ??

Mahesh Velankar mvelanka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 14:34:37 UTC 2022

Remi,
Thanks for looking into this.

What my original interest is, is about how VLC does not get into problem
when decoding AC3 audio when there is no sync_word found.

We have a transport stream with 3 audio streams. Out of these audio streams
our application (based on avlibs and ffmpeg) cannot decode audio stream 2
.... because it does not seem to have sync_word 0x770b found in the audio
data.

However VLC does not have any problem in decoding and playing all these
audio streams. And what I see is VLC is also using the same ffmpeg from
inside.
So I wanted to see how it is able to work around this audio stream that
ffmpeg rejects!!

This is the basic reason why I am trying to build VLC

Now about the srt....
I had tried to configure and make by disabling srt in
configure............That time it went to link next module and failed with
exactly same error ( -fPIC ... whatever)

I hope I have made it clear how I landed up here.
See if you can help me
Thanks again