[vlc-devel] Split video output with LibVLC

Tobias Rapp t.rapp at noa-archive.com
Mon Oct 24 07:41:30 UTC 2022

On 21/10/2022 21:01, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le 21 octobre 2022 16:45:59 GMT+03:00, Tobias Rapp <t.rapp at noa-archive.com> a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently trying to integrate LibVLC into one of my native Windows applications. Passing in a window handle via libvlc_media_player_set_hwnd() and starting playback works fine.
>>
>> Now I'd like to send video to two outputs simultaneously: Once to the window handle and another, scaled-down version to some callback handler for other visualization controls within the application.
>>
>> Is it possible to use libvlc_media_player_set_hwnd() and something similar to libvlc_video_set_callbacks() at the same time, where only the output sent to the callbacks is processed by some resize filter?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tobias
>>
> Hi,
>
> This is not possible currently. You need to use callbacks for all tracks, which is inefficient but at least it works.
>
> Or then you need to modify LibVLC.

I'm currently looking into writing a custom module for that. Do you
think it would be better to create a video output module for the
down-scaled memory callbacks, or use a filter module that is inserted
before the window handle output? Is this just a matter of taste or are
there technical implications when choosing between those two?

Regards,
Tobias