[vlc-devel] GSoC idea preliminary feedback - Develop a MPD server inside VLC

Akram Ansari mohdakram.ansari at ucalgary.ca
Wed Mar 22 07:16:46 UTC 2023

Dear VideoLAN community,

I found the idea - "Develop a MPD server inside VLC", intruiging and relevant to my experience under the GSoC program. I was looking for early feedback before starting the GSoC application on whether I am a right fit for the work.

About Me:
I am a computer science research student at the University of Calgary working on DASH streaming with one of my research [1] accepted in ACM MMSys 2023 conference. Recently I developed a complete video streaming player in python tailored for R&D supporting - DASH, HLS, live streaming, 360 degree videos and playback using OpenGL. A paper explaining the player is currently under review in NOSSDAV 2023<https://dl.acm.org/conference/nossdav>. I also have contributed to a relevant project (iStream) which is a video streaming framework for distributed video streaming experiments.