[vlc-devel] [GSoC23] Draft proposal for VLC.js

Chun Yu Chen junyussh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 17:42:32 UTC 2023

Dear VLC team,

The following is my draft proposal for the VLC.js project. I'll submit
the proposal to the GSoC website. Please let me know if you have
any suggestions or improvements.

I'd be grateful if you could give me some beginner tasks to start
with. It will be helpful if you can provide me with any documentation
or resources.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best regards,

Chun Yu Chen

---

# VLC.js proposal

## Project Description

We're currently porting VLC to the web, using WebAssembly. This is a
current work in progress, so we need a lot of help to improve it

This requires working close to the toolchain, compilation and the web browsers.

**Requirements**:
This project requires **C** knowledge, and compilation.

## Project Plan

- Familiar with VLC core design and existing VLC.js codebase
- Research WASM compilation and emscripten
- Research and familiar with common web-based codec implementation in
other players
- Add web-based codec into core
- Optimize and refactor the existing codebase
- Testing that the new features are stable

## Deliverables

- Add new web-based codec support into VLC.js
- Improve the compilation of VLC core to Wasm
- Test the added and modified code

## Timeline

- May 4 - 28
    - Build development environment for VLC.js codebase
    - Get familiar with Wasm development and VLC core
    - Communicate with mentor to learn more about the VLC.js project
- May 29 - June 11
    - Research WebCodecs standard and interface
    - Find out the current issue of Wasm compilation
    - Patch the codebase to fix compilation problem
- June 12 - 17
    - Research the web-based codec implementation
    - Try to port the implementation into VLC.js
    - Test the functionality of new features
- June 18 - July 8
    - Preparing for the final exam, sorry :(
- July 9 - 14
    - Reduce redundant codes
    - Merge the changes into mainline
- August 21 - 28
    - Prepare for final report
    - Prepare for final submission

## About me

I am a graduate student in computer science at Sun Yat-sen
University(SYSU) from Guangdong, China. I led several projects with my
classmates
during my campus and familiar with git and the Linux environment(BTW,
I use Arch). I am interested in the VLC GSOC 2023 project. I'm also a
VLC player
 user, so I wish to contribute to the VLC project with what I have learned.

I have many years of experience in JS and C/C++ development, but I am
still a newbie and interested in WASM development. I am excited to
learn more
about the project and put effort into working on it. If my mentor can
help me with some issues, I will appreciate it.

This is my first time attending GSOC and my first time participating
in an open source community, and I hope to use this opportunity to
improve my
engineering skills and communication skills.

Email: junyussh at gmail.com