[vlc-devel] Fwd: RISC-V Vector hardware

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Oct 20 11:35:52 UTC 2023

Le 20 octobre 2023 14:17:06 GMT+03:00, Steve Lhomme <robux4 at ycbcr.xyz> a écrit :
>On 2023-10-20 13:13, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>> Moving as videolan@ seems dead or no longer open.
>
>I read it :D
>
>Should we add a cross-compiler target in the CI as well ? We already have one for Debian on ARM.

It should be feasible, but:

1) My informed guess is that a full cross-compilation of contribs for Linux would improve coverage more than adding yet another VLC build. We don't really need RV for that, AArch64 would do just fine. Contribs are what's been causing most regressions for me (most not specific to RV).

2) Without something like FFmpeg checkasm, there is not much point in adding ISAs with the integer sizes as there is nothing really specific to check. And even then we'd need native builds, not cross-builds. Also VLC assembler is barely used for anything anymore.